Mental Health and Trauma Affects Everyone
Behavioral Health is as important to overall health as any other condition a person may experience in their lives.
What is Trauma:
Trauma is “an emotional wound or shock that creates substantial lasting damage to the psychological development of a person.” Systematic racism, inequality, public health crises, poverty, and other high-stress situations can create cycles of intergenerational trauma.
What is a Trauma-Informed Community?
A trauma informed community is a place of belonging where members
- Realize the widespread impact of trauma and understand paths for recovery
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of trauma in their fellow members
- Build knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures and practices
- Take steps to prevent re-traumatization where ever possible.
Why Create a Trauma-Informed Community?
- Connections and belonging
- Compassion and action for victims
- A renewed sense of equity, equality, and value; a respect for mutuality
- Health and wellbeing for all members
- Social change that affords a positive culture for everyone
- Can disrupt generational trauma and make for new possibilities for the future